Monday, April 22, 2013

Sweet!



Dear Everyone,


Eliza didn't send pictures.
So this is a reminder of where she is.
I'm actually not sure who ends up reading this email/blog post that I send out, but hey! if you want more direct salutations you'll have to write me directly :)
 
So a funny encounter we had the other day. We said a prayer with Eddy, and ended up giving him a card with a picture of the Salt Lake Temple on the front. He loved the picture, and told us he was immediately going to post the picture on his facebook. We told him he should take a picture of the back of the card and post that too, so he said he would!
 
One of our investigators, referred to as Cuban Jorge (not the one from above), thinks we're family. You try to shake his hand and he holds onto the hand, pulls you closer, and grabs the back of your head. He pulls your head down and kisses your forehead. We've told him that's not allowed, but it doesn't bother him...
 
We've met several people this week who are so prepared. Two single Latin men who don't drink or smoke and have been wanting to go to a church! One of them told us he had been waiting for us, and the other is an old coworker and friend of one of our strongest ward members. Jose and Jorge both have questions that are answered by the Restored Gospel, and both have recognized that hole in their lives that so many converts fill when they are baptized. We feel so blessed to have found them, and have them both progressing. We have many other amazing investigators, and have really seen the hand of the Lord as we have been working to rely more on him.
 
This week a verse that I really loved was 2 Nephi 4:20, which says: "My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep." Note that it doesn't say that God always takes away our afflictions, or parts the sea so that we can walk across on dry land. He is just there for us through our hard times, and we can trust that everything will work out for our good if we are directing our steps in the way he would have us go. Later on in that chapter Nephi says, "Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul." When we look forward with hope and faith, grateful for what we've been given in the past, and rejoicing in the present, we are able to drive away the enemy of our soul - contention, anger, despair, fear, etc.
 
I love that our internal happiness doesn't have to depend on what is outside. I've heard that since I was little, but I've really seen it in action this week - referring back to Elder Kopischke's talk in General Conference, we can be happy when we know we are worthy of being accepted by God. We know this because we have the companionship of the Holy Ghost, which allows us to have confidence that the Lord will direct us for good. When we have the Holy Ghost with us we have a greater love towards others, more patience in problems, and a more positive outlook.
 
Let me just tell you, having an hour of personal scripture study every day just has my brain forming connections left and right, and seeing things that I never saw before! Sweet.
 
I love you all soooo much!  Send me mail!
 
<3
Hermana Houghton
 
P.S. I told you that Sister Smaellie is a water polo player. What I didn't know at the time is that she's a state champion water polo player! Anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment