Monday, March 10, 2014

Lauderhill South--Back in a Spanish Area and Loving It!

Prelim to the weekly update:  

I'm in Lauderhill South, in the Lauderhill ward, Pompano Beach Stake. Our chapel is the first place I attended church on my mission, and the location of my first baptism! (stake conference my first Sunday in West Palm, last January). My companion is Sister Sanchez, who is 4'11", from Texas, of Mexican descent (native Spanish speaker!) and awesome. Loving it!

<3
HH

Dear Everyone,

I'M BACK IN A SPANISH AREA!!! Loving it. I loved Miami Beach too, mostly for the wonderful people in our valiant little branch, but I'm out of the city and into the Spanish! I found out that I'm not really a city kind of person... Not that my area now doesn't have city, but it doesn't feel nearly so 'city' as my area in Miami did. I have part of Fort Lauderdale, Coconut Creek, North Lauderdale, Tamarac, Pompano Beach, and a few other little cities. Our area is HUGE. We have to try and find the little pockets of Spanish-speakers. Speaking of which...

My first day in the new area we had zero blessings. So we prayed about where to go and went down (and down and down) to the bottom of our area. We found a Spanish-rich area and started harvesting. Within the next 24 hours we had received 2 referrals unrelated to our harvesting who lived on the same street. One of them turned into an amazing new investigator. If we hadn't been down in the area anyway we might have just called (the number was wrong on the referral) and waited a few days before going down, to save on miles. But God knows what He is doing. Ever knows that God sent us to him, and He had a purpose. He is praying to get an answer and progressing!

As well, we were in the area and dropped by the home of some members to say hi. They were trying to figure out how to work out some immigration stuff for a friend on the phone but since they don't speak any English it was difficult to say the least. So we performed some service and Sister Sanchez made the call while I entertained the three little kids with my camera. (see pics)

We are also teaching the sweetest kids ever! L, O, and P (17, 12, and 10) just came from Arizona, where they were living with an aunt for three months after coming from Honduras. They speak very little English. Their grandparents and most of their extended family are members, and they are preparing for baptism this Sunday. Words simply can't describe how dear they are - I'll have to send a pic next week. (And one of Sister Sanchez too, sorry I don't have one yet!)

The Lauderhill ward is amazing too! The sacrament was passed entirely by young men! I have not seen that happen in any ward my entire mission. The young women filled up a sheet of paper with the girls who want to go out teaching with us. The ward teaches the new member lessons and doesn't leave them to the missionaries. The Relief Society is huge! There are about 5 Lopez families and 3 Ruiz families who are active (and the women with the last name Ruiz are Claudia and Claudina...) I simply love it so much! Plus we get fed a lot, which is nice since I lost a ton of MSF funds to towing fees :/

Out of time, but I love you!!!

<3
HH


Pics: H and R

No comments:

Post a Comment